- Current Schedule
- Class descriptions for Term 2 [PDF] (winter/spring) 2017
- Vendor/Teacher information[PDF]
Please scroll down for detailed information on registration, important dates, scholarship application and important program information.
Run by the PTA, playlab133 offers PS133 families high-quality, after-school enrichment programming and extended-day care. playlab133 activates students’ sense of wonder and self-discovery while inspiring a love for learning. It’s a place to contribute to students’ academic and social success while exploring their passions and interests.
Enrichment class offerings range from athletics, academics, arts, STEM and much more! We also offer playlab Care, which includes an opportunity to work on homework, play games, engage in activities and visit with school friends.
Classes are primarily held onsite, with a few exceptions as noted on the schedule, and run in two time slots. playlab133 does NOT run when school is on break for holiday, professional development days, and during parent teacher conferences. Most enrichment classes are available for Pre-K to 5th grade and offered in groups by grade levels. Not all classes can be offered for each grade due to limited space or the nature of the classes.
TERM 2, January 30th, 2017 – June 23rd, 2017
playlab133 does NOT run when school is not in session or for professional development days such as teacher conferences, and clerical days. EXCEPTION – playlab133 classes still happen on Pre-K Half Days.
In line with the DOE calendar, playlab133 is NOT IN SESSION:
January 16 – MLK Day
February 20-24 – Winter Break
March 8-9 – Parent Teacher Conferences
April 10–18 – Spring Break
May 29 – Memorial Day
June 8 – Brooklyn Queens Day
June 12 – Clerical Day
SCHEDULE AND CLASS DESCRIPTIONS
Class descriptions for Term 2 [PDF] (winter/spring) 2017
Please do not use a mobile device to register. Online registration works best on a computer. Mobile devices have had issues in the past. playlab133 can not make any allowances for enrollment difficulties due to enrollment attempted on mobile devices. For best success, please log in to your account in advance and make sure you remember your password and confirm that all your family and credit card information is entered correctly and up to date. This will speed up your checkout process considerably.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Any outstanding balances must be paid before you can register for classes. Log in today to make sure there are no open charges on your account and so that we can clear up any balances before registration opens.
Please be advised that many classes fill in a matter of minutes and the class is not held for you until you finish and log out of your cart. If there is a class you are very interested in and is very popular, sign up for that class and pay right away, then go back in to sign up for the other classes that are not in such high demand. Classes that sold out quickly last semester were: Court 16 Tennis, School of Rock, Fencing, Ballet/Modern Dance, Minecraft Coding, Soccer Prek-K, Music FUNdamentals, Bit Bots Basics, and Gardening. We expect Gymnastics to fill quickly as well.
REFUND POLICY: Choose your classes carefully!
If you change your mind and decide to drop a class before the session starts or after the first class, you will be refunded 100% but you will be charged a $25 administrative fee ($35 for Court 16 and Construction Kids).
If you drop a class after attending the 2nd class, 75% will be refunded, plus the $25 administrative fee.
If you drop a class after attending the 3rd class, no refunds will be given. Once the first few classes have taken place, that spot becomes impossible to fill with a new student.
Need-based scholarships provide each child in the family with a free playlab133 enrichment class and playlab Care slot that day (if no other child care is available to the family).
Scholarship application in English [PDF]
Aplicación para ayuda financiera [PDF]
Daily schedule: playlab133 students participate in gym recess and snack from dismissal until class time, and one to two enrichment class(es) and/or playlab Care hour(s) per day. playlab Care is only for one hour a day in combination with an enrichment class.
1st hour of enrichment or playlab Care is from 3:20pm – 4:20pm. Pick up at 4:25pm in the cafeteria. 1st hour class includes the time between dismissal and 3:20!
2nd hour of enrichment or playlab Care is from 4:30pm – 5:30pm. Pick up between 5:35pm – 5:55 pm at Room 107.
To register for the 2nd hour class your child needs to be:
- registered for a 1st hour enrichment class or 1st hour playlab Care, or
- picked up at dismissal and brought back in time for the 2nd hour class, or
- enrolled in Kids Orbit or University Settlement programs at PS133. In this case, playlab133 staff will pick up your child for class and bring them back to that program afterward.
Location of Classes – Classes are primarily held on-site, with a few exceptions as noted on the schedule.
Off-Site Classes – Students will be transported to and from off-site classes by playlab133 staff and volunteers. Students may be picked up at their off-site classes at the time the class is over. Please advise the playlab133 director in advance if you plan to pick up off-site.
Make-up Classes – the playlab133 schedule and pricing takes into account all the scheduled school closures. There is NO guarantee that make-up classes will be offered for classes canceled due to unscheduled school closures. playlab133 cannot offer make-up classes for a child who misses a class for personal reasons.
Class Cancellation – The Extended Day Committee has the right to cancel an enrichment class if it does not reach the minimum enrollment. We will notify you before classes begin if you have registered for an enrichment that has been canceled. You will have the option of choosing an available slot in another class or receiving a refund for that class.
Waivers & Forms – All registered families MUST sign the Waiver prior to their child(ren) participating in any enrichment. They are available during checkout on the online registration system.
Staff – playlab133 is overseen by the Co-VPs of Extended Day, Christina Prostano and April Johnson, Committee Chair Niae Knight, and a dedicated group of parent volunteers. The day-to-day operations of the program and management of staff and vendors is overseen by full-time director, Lauren Goodrich. The staff consists of PS 133 employees and carefully selected people experienced in working with children in childcare programs.
Registration Fee – There is an annual $60 registration per family, which is charged once each school year upon enrollment.
Class Fees – Fees vary depending on overhead costs per class and how many times the class meets per session, which varies due to school closures.
- Enrichment classes: Fees range from $225 – $680 per class for the 5-month term.
- playlab Care: Fees break down to approximately $10-12 per hour.
- Late Pick-up Fee: There will be a $10 late charge if you are more than 10 minutes late to pick up your child. After that, a $1 per minute late fee will be charged to your account. We’re sorry, but because of tight staffing and scheduling, there will be no exceptions to this policy. All late fees must be paid in full before being able to register for the next session of playlab133.
- Pick up Times:
- 1st period is 4:25pm in the cafeteria
- 2nd period is between 5:35–5:55pm in room 107
- Returned Checks– There will be a $30 fee for any returned checks.
- Refund Policy– (see above)
- Credit Cards: You can pay by credit card when you enroll online.
- Check or Money Order:
– Checks or Money Orders should be made out to The P.T.A. of P.S. 133K, Inc.
– Please put a copy of your invoice and a check for the full amount in an envelope marked “Payment for playlab133 Term 2, 2017″ along with your child’s name.
– Place the envelope with payment in the playlab133 mailbox in the front office. All payments are due within 48 hours after enrollment to ensure your place in the class. If your check payment is not received by this time your registration will be canceled and your child will lose their seat in all classes that you registered for online.
WE NEED YOUR HELP
Want to help playlab133 and receive a free class in exchange?
There are two ways to help: with your time and/or with supplies.
Volunteer: playlab133 is looking for a few amazing guardians to volunteer with playlab133 for Term 2.
- Volunteers will need to be able to commit to one day a week, from 2:00-4:45 for the complete term.
- Some responsibilities of a playlab133volunteer are transporting children, distributing snacks, and helping with dismissal.
- If you are unable to volunteer on your agreed upon day for any reason, it will be your responsibility to find a replacement as it is important that we have the proper amount of adult supervision for playlab133.
- If you are able to make this commitment, you will receive 1 complimentary playlab133 enrichment class that is not full after registration closes. If you need to guarantee that your child gets into a class, please pay in full and we will find an additional class to give you free of charge. Volunteer slots are limited so please contact email@example.com to sign up today!
Donate supplies: We need donated art supplies such as board games (Connect 4, Jenga, etc.), Legos, art & crafts supplies (markers, paint and brushes, art paper etc), dress up costumes, musical instruments, and anything you can think of to keep our children busy and happy in playlab133 Care.
What if the class I wanted is full?
You can sign your child up for the wait list. If a spot opens, you will receive an email alert and an invoice. There is no guarantee a spot will become available so if you need coverage that day please sign up for another class or playlab133 Care for that slot. If a spot becomes available, we can transfer your child.
How can I get the latest playlab133 updates?
Please follow us on Facebook for the latest information.
What do I do if I am experiencing technical problems when signing up online?
The system works best from a computer, not a mobile device. If you are experiencing problems, please try a different browser. If you are still experiencing problems, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I want to change classes after I have enrolled online?
You cannot change classes on your own. To transfer between classes or drop classes you should email email@example.com or call 917-635-0534 and we will help take care of it.
What if I accidentally signed myself up instead of my child?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to correct this. This must be corrected before the 30th or we won’t know that your child is in the enrolled class or where to find him/her.
What do the students do from dismissal until their 1st class?
We believe kids need some downtime after their school day. To this end, students will be picked up from their homeroom and brought to the gym to run, play tag, or sit and chat with their friends. Afterwards, we take them to the cafeteria for snack time. From there they will be picked up by their enrichment class teachers and taken to their classes.
Why do class prices vary?
Prices are based on vendor and material costs and the number of classes per term. Classes may meet more or less often due to school closures on that specific day of the week.